Power Searching in Leap
Table of Contents
Power Search is one of the available search modes in Leap. It uses Common Command Language to build a query. Unlike other search modes, staff have the ability to save Power Search queries, making them very useful for staff who want to quickly reference a particular search setup or frequently run search.
This page documents how to create, save, locate, and default to a Power Search.
Create and Save a Power Search
Staff do not need to know Common Command Language to build a Power Search. Instead, we will build a Basic Search, then use the Find Tool to convert it into a Power Search.
Staff are not able to set default filters in the Find Tool. However, by creating and saving a Power Search setup, staff can configure searches that will automatically apply filters. This example will outline how to setup a search with an assigned branch filter.
1. Open the Find Tool. Make sure you are in Basic Mode.
2. Choose your preferred record type (ex/ Bibliographic, Item, etc.).
3. Set the Qualifier Column to your preferred search point (ex/ All Keyword Fields, Title, etc.).
4. Set the Relation Column to your preferred search relation (ex/ Keyword All, Exact, etc.)
5. Do not enter any search terms into the search bar! Leave blank - this will allow you to manipulate the field when using a saved Power Search.
6. Click the Filters icon.
7. Add in the desired filters. This is where you can configure your search to limit to results from your location (Assigned Branch) from a certain collection or collections (Nonfiction to search only non-fiction titles, or the Youth collections to only search youth titles). You can get as specific or as general as you want here!
a. Keep in mind that there are some filters/fields only available with bib records or with item records. For example, statistical class code is an item-level designation. Shelf location is an item-level designation.
8. Click “Apply” to apply the filters to your search.
9. Click the Search Mode column and change from Basic Search to Power Search - this will translate the language of your search into power search language.
10. Click the Save icon at the end of the search bar. Name and save your search.
Locate and Use a Saved Power Search
Once you save a Power Search, you can retrieve the search setup whenever you want to use it! To locate your search,
1. Open the Find Tool.
2. Choose the desired record type.
(Saved Item Power Searches will only appear under the Item Record Type and saved Bibliographic Power Searches will only appear under the Bibliographic Record Type.)
3. Change the search mode to Power Search.
4. Click “(unsaved)” and select your search from the list of saved searches.
5. Enter your search term(s) between the quotation marks. Hit enter or click the magnifying glass to launch the search.
Default to Power Search Mode
If you prefer using Power Search mode, you can adjust the Leap Find Tool so that it automatically opens to Power Search mode. This default is tied to the username (not the workstation), so it will only affect your individual log in.
1. Open the Find Tool.
2. Click the Search Mode column and change to Power Search mode.
3. Click the Star icon at the end of the search bar. This will prompt a message asking if you want to save the current search setup as your default. Select Save to confirm.
4. Once the new settings are saved, the Find Tool will open directly to Power Search mode.
Tip: if you prefer to search using Power Search mode for all record types (for example, when searching Item Records or Patron Records), you will want to repeat this process for each record type.