You can reactivate Cancelled, Unable to Fill, and Unfillable hold requests to permit items to fill them. When you reactivate a hold request, the request immediately becomes active with a new expiration date, and items can be trapped for it. If there is a wait list, the patron will be placed back in the queue based on the date they originally placed the hold.
Some examples of when a hold may be reactivated include:
The patron cancels their hold, but decides they would like the title after all
A patron’s hold is accidentally cancelled by staff and needs to be re-placed
A patron’s hold has not been filled in the allotted time period and expires
As a reminder, cancelled holds will remain on a patron’s account for 14 days. During this time, the hold may be reactivated. Once the 14 day period is up, the hold will disappear. If the patron changes their mind about the cancelled hold after 14 days, staff will need to place a new hold.
If staff are in a situation where it is preferred that the patron be placed at the bottom of the queue instead, staff should either place a new hold instead of reactivating the cancelled hold OR reactivate the hold and move the patron to the bottom of the queue.
How to Reactivate Holds
Holds can be reactivated from the patron’s record, from the hold request record, or from the Request Manager.
To reactivate a hold from the patron’s record:
1. Open the patron’s record.
2. Navigate to their Holds/Held tab.
3. Select the checkbox next to the desired hold.
4. Click Reactivate.
5. The hold’s status will change to Requested or Locating.
To reactivate a hold from the hold request record:
1. Locate and open the hold request record.
2. Click the Actions drop-down menu.
3. Click Reactivate.
4. The hold’s status will change to Requested or Locating.
To reactivate a hold from the Request Manager:
1. Select the Utilities menu and select Request Manager.
2. In the Request Manager, change the Status to Cancelled (or Unfillable, depending on the current status of the hold).
3. Locate the hold in the list of cancelled holds. You may need to use the Filter box.
4. Select the checkbox next to the desired hold.
5. Click Reactivate.
6. The hold’s status will change to Requested or Locating.
Updated April 2020